New guidance from HMRC designed to encourage business owners, employers and the self-employed to check online to make sure they are not missing out on a range of tax reliefs and allowances.
HMRC’s new summary of all tax reliefs and allowances guidance sheet on GOV.UK summarises items that people running their own businesses should explore that could help them keep more of what they earn. With just one click, businesses, employers and the self-employed can find out their eligibility for tax reliefs and financial allowances, as well as how to claim them.
Tax-deductible business expenses
- If you’re self-employed, you can deduct some of your running costs as part of your annual tax return, as long as they’re an allowable expense.
- You may be able to claim tax-deductible expenses for items including office stationery, insurance, bank charges and even heating and lighting for your office, home office or business premises.
Research and Development (R&D) tax relief
- If your company is involved in innovative projects in science or technology, you may be eligible to claim R&D reliefs which can even be claimed on eligible unsuccessful projects. Find out more here.
- Companies (and unincorporated associations) can claim tax relief for qualifying donations paid to charities (bodies or trusts accepted as charities for UK tax purposes).
Corporation Tax relief
- You can deduct the costs of running your business from your profits before tax when you prepare your company’s accounts. This could include things like buying machinery or tools that you use for your business.
- If your business employs people, you may be able to claim Employment Allowance which allows eligible employers to reduce their annual National Insurance liability by up to £5,000.
- If you are in the process of setting up a new business, you may be able to claim back some of the expenses incurred before you started trading through your first tax return.
- If you are a VAT-registered business, you can reclaim VAT on qualifying goods and services you buy for use in your business.
Business rates relief
- Some properties are eligible for discounts from their local council on their business rates. This is called ‘business rates relief’. Please note that the guidance on business rates relief on GOV.UK is only for businesses based in England.
At Beavis Morgan, our diverse team of tax professionals are committed to ensuring that your tax reporting obligations are fully satisfied and that every opportunity to lawfully exploit tax savings is made known to you, restructuring your affairs in a tax effective and efficient way.