The theme for World Environment Day 2018 is “Beat Plastic Pollution – If you can’t reuse it, refuse it.” But did you know, that it is possible to save money and the environment at the same time?
Lighting and equipment left on overnight, overheating, poor insulation and an old boiler can waste money and energy.
- A computer and monitor left on 24-hours a day will cost around £50 a year to run?
- The annual cost of running a computer can be reduced to less than £15 by turning it off, or putting it on standby? This will also prolong its life.*
- Heating costs rise by about 8 per cent for every 1°C of overheating?** Overheating can also create an uncomfortable working environment.
- Replacing just one lightbulb with an energy-efficient one can save you on average £3 a year**?
To mark World Environment Day, we have outlined our Environmental Policy.
At Beavis Morgan, we recognise that sustainable development is a fundamental aspect of sound business management and that a healthy environment helps support economic growth.
We understand that day-to-day business operations can impact both directly and indirectly on the environment. We aim to protect and improve the environment through good management and by adopting best practice wherever possible.
This policy provides a framework for managing the impact of all aspects of our business operations on the environment. It includes goals to help us address the environmental issues most relevant to our activities.
We have assessed our most significant environmental impacts as:
- Use of electricity for comfort and to power office equipment
- Use of gas for heating
- Use of water in our offices for a variety of purposes
- Use of resources such as paper
- Travel by air, by road and by rail to visit our clients
- We generate waste paper, newsprint, plastic, toners and IT equipment.
Beavis Morgan is committed to minimising the environmental impact of the business activities we undertake. We aim to fulfil our environmental commitments through the following broad level actions:
- Minimise consumption of resources such as water, paper, hardware and other consumables
- Promote ‘Green Procurement’ to the maximum possible extent
- Promote the ‘Reduce, Reuse and Recycle’ philosophy for all types of wastes and reduce our use of single-use plastics
- Respect health, safety and environment issues of employees, clients and local communities. Provide a healthy work environment to all our employees and conduct environment-friendly business at all our offices
- Remain committed to comply with all current applicable environmental and related legal and other requirements and, wherever feasible, exceed prescribed standards.
It is often the small things that make the big difference and to that end we:
- Refuse any unnecessary single-use plastics such as bags, straws, cutlery, and cups. Instead we encourage employees to bring to work their own reusable versions of those products when possible. We also provide china mugs and glassware for staff, limiting the use of plastic cups
- Provide paper and cardboard recycling bins in all offices
- Provide electronic working papers for completion by staff, encouraging these to be completed and reviewed electronically, limiting the need to print off files
- Require all lights and computers be turned off at the end of the working day.
We expect our employees to understand and promote an environmentally aware culture and to help us improve our environmental performance, through:
- Reducing the resources we use and recycling what cannot be reused
- Helping reduce the energy we use
- Avoiding unnecessary travel on business or choosing the most environmentally friendly mode of transport consistent with business needs.
These commitments represent Beavis Morgan’s position on environmental responsibility throughout our business operations. It is endorsed by our senior management and encouraged across all our teams.
We will review this policy and our progress in achieving these goals on an annual basis, to maintain our commitment to environmental responsibility.
* The Carbon Trust
**Energy Saving Trust