July saw the worst ever month on record for UK retailers, with total sales increasing by just 0.3 per cent, compared to a rise of 1.6 per cent recorded in the same month last year.
The British Retail Consortium, who commissioned the research, attributed the findings to a “combination of slow real wage growth and Brexit uncertainty”.
In the current challenging market, there are steps retail businesses can take to protect their business. Together with our business restructuring experts, BM Advisory, we are available to assist with:
- Working capital management and optimisation
- Short term cashflow forecasting
- Strategic planning and performance optimisation
- Financial modelling and options analyses
- Refinancing (debt and equity)
- Optimisation of debt / equity structure
- Contingency planning
- Managed wind down of underperforming units
- R&D tax relief claims, bringing money back into the business following research and development