Premier League football clubs’ revenues rose 9 per cent to a record £3.6 billion in the 2015-16 season, according to recent analysis*.
Broadcast earnings of £1.9 billion accounted for more than half of the top flight clubs’ total revenues.
Key findings include:
- The top 92 Premier League and Football League clubs generated a record £4.4 billion in revenue in 2015/16;
- Premier League clubs’ revenues increased by 9 per cent, to a record £3.6 billion in 2015/16, the final year of the division’s three-year broadcast cycle;
- Premier League clubs’ combined revenues are likely to exceed £4.5 billion in the 2017/18 season;
- Broadcast revenue accounted for more than half of Premier League clubs’ total revenue and, at £1.9 billion in 2015/16, had almost doubled since 2008/09;
- All “Big Five” leagues – England, Italy, Germany, Spain, France – saw revenues increase from the previous season. “Big Five” collective revenues rose 12 per cent to a record 13.4 billion euros;
- Total capital expenditure by Premier League and Football League clubs rose by 3 per cent in the 2015/16 season to £313 million – a new record;
- Championship clubs spent more on wages than they generated in revenues in 2015/16, for the third time in four seasons.
Beavis Morgan – specialist advisers to the Sports Sector
At Beavis Morgan, we have dedicated time to developing expertise across a range of industry groups. We have a strong presence in the Sports Sector, advising sports clubs, individuals, service and management companies, as well as event organisers, governing bodies and a range of other sporting organisations.
Our full range of business and tax advisory services are tailored to the sector and our knowledge of the specific needs and challenges in this sector enable us to apply the right solutions for each individual circumstance.