The Government has this week announced a new contract secured with Derby-based manufacturer SureScreen Diagnostics for validated lateral flow antigen tests, ensuring supply for the UK over coming months. Also, this weekend the Government started offering all England-based businesses with over 50 employees’ workplace Covid testing, previously only available to firms with more than 250 staff.
We can now see a picture of the “New Normal” post initial vaccination emerging, with faster and more frequent testing for the workplace, when travelling and possibly attending events, voluntary social distancing and regular vaccinations against the virus and its new strains. In the meantime, let us have hope the vaccination roll out is successful.
The Bank of England monetary policy committee met last week and voted unanimously to keep interest rates at 0.1% and maintain its current position on Government borrowing. They stated that the vaccination programmes underway have improved the economic outlook, although they expect Gross Domestic Product (GDP) to be 4% down for the first quarter of 2021 due to the lockdown.
The good news is that the Government states that GDP is projected to recover rapidly towards pre-Covid levels over the year, as the vaccination programme is assumed to lead to an easing of Covid-related restrictions and people’s health concerns, although this depends on the evolution of the pandemic, measures taken to protect public health, and how households, businesses and financial markets respond to these developments.
For 2021, we expect Government support, such as the Furlough scheme, to limit any immediate increase in unemployment. However, the unemployment rate is still projected to rise to 7.8% later this year as these schemes wind down.
If we focus on the positives, and the vaccination programme continues at a pace, then we should expect many restrictions to be lifted from May 2021 onwards, and hopefully we can have a more normal home and business environment from there on.
Click on the links to view our latest Brexit and coronavirus (COVID-19) updates for businesses and individuals.
- Northern Ireland Protocol
- Areas of Brexit yet to be finalised
- VAT on purchases from the EU
- Coronavirus Job Retention Scheme (CJRS)
- Christmas Support Payment for wet-led pubs – England
- Film & TV Production Restart Scheme
- Kickstart Scheme Grant
- Getting support from Business Representative Organisations and Trade Associations
- Providing apprenticeships during the coronavirus (COVID-19) outbreak
- Private providers of coronavirus testing
- What to do if you’re employed and cannot work – guidance for employees
- NHS Test and Trace in the workplace – England
- Register to order coronavirus tests for your employees – England
If you require any assistance relating to Brexit or coronavirus (COVID-19) and your personal financial or business circumstances, please email firstname.lastname@example.org or contact your usual Beavis Morgan client partner.